Clock Tower current rights and movie rights?

Clock Tower current rights and movie rights?

Postby nealdanderson » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:21 am

I'm very curious, who does officially own the rights to Clock Tower as an IP? Does Capcom or Sunsoft, or has it been handed to someone else?

Also, when the movie was being optioned briefly 6-7 years ago(how time flies), who obtained the movie rights? Can a Clock Tower movie be made using these movie rights, or do they have to obtain permission from the current owner of Clock Tower as a whole again? In other words, is a film adaptation solely up to whoever owns Clock Tower as an IP, or is it a joint-decision between the movie right holders as well?

Reason I ask is that I want to produce something like a Movie Pitch book, with some character designs and bios, environments, plot synopsis...etc. and would love to be able to send it to whoever has these rights. It's a long-shot, but what the hey! I am convinced that Clock Tower: The First Fear has the one of the most 'film ready' plots of any video game- it's extremely trim and coherent, isn't vacuous or devoid of story like most game series tend to be, wouldn't command a super high budget, could be done with relatively unknown actors, and above all, is terrifying. Horror movies always seem to do well, and I often get depressed thinking about how much potential the genre has but is more often than not squandered. But at the same time, some recent or fairly recent horror films with genuinely great scares and atmosphere have been popping up- The Babadook, It Follows, The House of the Devil, The Conjuring, and the upcoming The Witch. Any of those directors or creative teams could do a worthy job I feel.

So if anybody can help me to figure this out or at least lead me in the right direction, I'd highly appreciate it.

Re: Clock Tower current rights and movie rights?

Postby Generic_Soda » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:26 am

I'd love to see a competently put together Clock Tower movie. I think the plot could use some tightening and trimming (fleshing out Mary's motives, and I find that Jennifer's dad being the doctor that delivered Bobby and Dan feels really shoehorned) but it would make for an amazing reminder why slasher movies can be just as tense and horrifying as anything else out there.

Re: Clock Tower current rights and movie rights?

Postby nealdanderson » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:51 am

It could use a little trimming and tightening, but not too much.

I feel leaving motives in an unexplained state really adds to a sense of dread and paranoia. After all, that's the very definition of fear- we are afraid of what we don't know.

Yes, Walter does feel shoehorned in a bit, and that's another thing that makes CT so ready for adapting- 100% accuracy isn't necessary. As long as the main plot and characters are intact, little bits removed or added here or there will likely improve upon what is already a great story. However, you could argue that in the context of a film, where more background and story can be added, stuff like Walter's appearance could be justified somehow.

The thing that I love so much about playing Clock Tower is the fact that, if you go by one of the longer and more satisfying endings, it can be completed in the span of a movie running time. It's a perfect movie-length story. Obviously characters, especially the four orphans, will have to be developed and be given their own unique personalities, but that goes without saying.

I'm not a huge fan of slasher films for numerous reasons, so I'd prefer it to be a more atmospheric slow burn movie. This would entail limited amounts of gore- gore isn't shocking in the slightest, and only makes a film feel more cheesy and desperate, and horror's obsession with it is just so childish- and keeping the villains and monsters in the dark, so that their few brief appearances are actually effective. I'm not entirely sure what constitutes as a slasher film anymore anyway, is it just having a killer with a weapon picking off people one-by-one? I personally think the usual tired slasher formula would be a disservice to Clock Tower's incredibly unique story and flavor.

So yeah, the films I mentioned all have great aspects that would lend themselves to a great adaptation of CT. Ti West's The House of the Devil and The Innkeepers are extremely slow burn, making the scary moments infinitely more effective. Jennifer Kent's The Babadook is extremely atmospheric and character driven, the titular monster appears throughout, but the limited lighting forces the viewer to imagine what the monster could be, rather than having it fully displayed at all times. David Robert Mitchell's It Follows, while a bit overrated and overhyped, has extremely realistic feeling teenage characters and a great sense of dread and is a great example of using the spirit of a slasher flick to make something way more intelligent. Films like James Wan's The Conjuring or Kubrick's Shining are great examples of the setting taking on a character of its own, as well as having overall great production value and mainstream-ish appeal without sacrificing any filmic integrity. And finally, Robert Eggers' The Witch is a film directed by a production designer- it looks superb while being extremely under budget,with no need for big-time celebrity actors, and is apparently going to be the creepiest or scariest film of the past two decades.

Return to “Clock Tower Series”